[Announcements] This is Drachenwald weekly update

Fri May 21 14:04:35 UTC 2021

This is the weekly summary for 'This is Drachenwald'
13th century hairnet from Marburg (Knots in a net – Solmuja verkossa)

I’m going to concentrate on the embroidery side of things this time. The
basic form of the hairnet is from the Museum of London hairnets which I’ve
written about before. You can do a bit of counting if you like, but as
you’ll see, the maker of the

Read more at
https://knotsinanet.wordpress.com/2021/05/21/13th-century-hairnet-from-marburg/
------------------------------
Museum of London hairnets (Knots in a net – Solmuja verkossa)

In the Museum of London book Textiles and Clothing 1150-1450 are described
four pieces of netting from the collection, with pictures of three mostly
intact hairnets and information on all four. These are the first hairnets I
remember ever seeing.

Read more at
https://knotsinanet.wordpress.com/2021/05/20/museum-of-london-hairnets/
------------------------------
Rant about romanticizing the past/other cultures and what our
responsibility online is (Agnes Edgren's Youtube Channel)

Read more at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JcNrlUNXRY
------------------------------
Plague Wars, new 15th century gown etc (Eva's historical costuming blog)

So, last week, Thursday to Sunday was Plague Wars, the online substitute
for the biggest camping event in Drachenwald (SCA Kingdom covering Europe,
Israel and South Africa) and one of the most important things that I do
every year. It gives me joy

Read more at
https://evashistoricalcostumes.blogspot.com/2021/05/plague-wars-new-15th-century-gown-etc.html
------------------------------
Pilgrimsvandring 6 juni (Aros)

I år tar vi i Uppsala chansen att åter igen promenera i dräkt på
nationaldagen. Alla är välkomna – mer detaljer finns i Kalender->
Nationaldagsvandring.

Read more at https://aros.nordmark.org/pilgrimsvandring-6-juni/
------------------------------
late night bardic (Kareina's observations)

Hopefully I will make time to write up the rest of this weekend's event
properly later, but in the meantime, here is a tiny highlight...We were 8
people (the current limit for gatherings in Sweden) at Kheldor's Medieval
Space during this year's

Read more at https://kareina.dreamwidth.org/782046.html
------------------------------
Martebo bag in linen fabric (Handcrafted History)

This is one of my favourites; the “Fässing” (in Swedish), Martebo-sack
(from Martebo church on Gotland) or a Wallet (18-19th century). It is a
simple, practical linen bag made for carrying loads. I have seen medieval
examples worn over your …

Read more at
https://handcraftedhistory.blog/2021/05/16/martebo-bag-in-linen-fabric/
------------------------------
U is for Upgrade (Wolfram von Falkenstein and Alessandra di Riario's
Youtube Channel)

Read more at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7no_cQZSzQ
------------------------------
Always Inspire (Kareina's observations)

2021-01-07 I saw this FB post by Morales to which Agnés Boncuer
commented:It's my motto and there in my FB bio: "Always inspire, never tear
down." Encouragement will always have better results than telling someone
they are shit. Lead by example,

Read more at https://kareina.dreamwidth.org/781822.html
------------------------------
Always Inspire (Anneleyn Cornelisse's Youtube Channel)

Read more at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdlMBBePboE
------------------------------
Fleur-de-lis and swords (Stringcrafter)

Baron Master Antonio di Rienzo Ruspoli was elevated to the Order of Defense
at Plague Wars End Game XXXIII (May 2021).   Some months prior to this
event, he had been pleased to accept my offer to make a set of garters,
incorporating fleur-de-lis

Read more at https://stringcrafter.com/2021/05/15/fleur-de-lis-and-swords/
------------------------------
Tracking down a source for Bluebells used as glue (Orlaith Chaomhanach)

There have been a few bluebell filled days recently, and yesterday was
perhaps the most Bluebells I have ever seen in my life. Oceans of them
flowed over the curious landscape of an until yesterday undiscovered-by-me
part of Charleville forest,

Read more at
https://pontagedue.wordpress.com/2021/05/15/tracking-down-a-source-for-bluebells-used-as-glue/
May Dragon’s Tale has been published (Drachenwald Blog)

Greetings good people of Drachenwald! The Chronicler has published a new
Dragon’s Tale for your enjoyment. This links directly to the current
newsletter (.pdf), and does not need a password. If this doesn’t work you
can follow this link to the

Read more at
https://drachenwald.sca.org/posts/news/2021/05/14/Dragons-tale-may-2021/